Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Spicy South Asian Roasted Fish


[Meg] When I saw this recipe, it reminded me of a wonderful Ina Garten recipe (which I'll share next time we make it). They are both simple and delicious because you combine a few ingredients to make the sauce, smother the fish in it, and then roast the concoction in the oven. 

This recipe calls for halibut and that's what we used but I'm going to find a less expensive alternative the next time we make it. Anyway, the sauce includes fresh lemongrass, ginger and lime juice, chili sauce (we used half Heinz and half Sriracha), coconut milk, fish sauce and garlic. Blend in the processor and pour over the fish. Bake for about 15 minutes. Wow - seriously, it was just incredible! We paired it with leftover Fiery Sweet Potatoes and tangy cole slaw. In terms of presentation, there was a lot of orange on the plate so we lost some points for that. But the flavor was fantastic! Here's the link to the recipe.

  
[Tyler] This is one of the best things that I've ever eaten...ever, no joke. I fear actually that there was some kind of perfect storm that resulted in the onslaught of flavor we loosed upon our taste buds. Will it ever be as good as the first time? Experience tells me it will be much better.

Two things - no three things stood out for me.

First the halibut was wonderful. I could tell when I washed it; it was firm, it was not slimy and it didn't smell fishy. Second, the fish sauce we used was, let's say, well aged and this turned out to be a good thing. In the final dish, the fish sauce was discernible (this is not generally the case in my experience) but it was wonderful! Lastly, the spice was perfect. The Heinz chili sauce (which I didn't even know we owned) was sweet and tangy while the Sriracha brought the spice and heat to the party. Oh, and the lemongrass was definitely present and lent a wonderful freshness to the dish. OK, four things. I can't wait to make this again! 

Buvez: This is getting boring isn't it.

1 comment:

  1. we would love fiery sweet potatoes and bacon and brussels- val and rod

    ReplyDelete