Monday, October 1, 2012

Hangtown at 50

So today turns out to be my birthday again - and not just any birthday but the big five-oh, half a century and all that. Reaching this milestone is of course reason to celebrate and the hangtown fry was the way to go.

I've written about this wonderful dish before so won't do that again - however I will share some photos from this version. I did some things right (more parsley than ever before and it was wonderful) and some things wrong (didn't crisp the bacon enough before adding the oysters) but the result - as always - was wonderful.


Applewood smoked bacon with shitake mushrooms...




A bit later, the oysters go in (probably too soon - should have crisped the bacon a bit more) and perhaps a bit too wet: next time I'll drain the oysters better.


And the finished result after very slowly cooking the eggs on and off the heat as Bittman suggests. Yum!


Next opportunity for the Hangtown will probably be New Years Day - let's see if I remember the lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment