Friday, January 1, 2010

Hangtown Fry!

New Years Day is a great opportunity to access the year that has past by and to make plans and set goals for the upcoming year. It's also a great day to have prosecco for brunch and to indulge in the joy that is the hangtown fry.

I first met the hangtown fry about twelve years ago when Meg and I took a day trip to Sausalito above San Fransisco. At our brunch stop I found something fascinating on the menu: an omelet that had oysters in it. How could you go wrong? I tried it and I loved it.



I don't remember all the details of that hangtown (I think it was pretty packed with ingredients) but in recent years I've followed the advice of our friend Mark Bittman and simplified the recipe to include just oysters, good bacon, and shitaki mushrooms. I've also decided New Year's Day is the perfect excuse for this indulgence.



This year's version came out better than most I'm happy to say. Bittman emphasizes crisping the bacon and cooking the eggs slowly. I did a pretty good job of both and I embellished the eggs with just a splash of prosecco which we truly think improved their consistency. The oysters were quite fresh and I didn't overcook them. Yum!



It's going to be a great year!

Buvez: Mionetto Prosecco di Valdobbiadene (thanks Elisebeth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment