Saturday, January 2, 2010

Son of Hangtown Fry...

Since the successful completion of the hangtown yesterday, I've been reminiscing about this succulent seafaring decadence. I discovered this article on the hangtown which is both informative and present some other ideas about preparation. This fellow is not alone in frying the oysters separately but I remain under the spell of the minimalist; it's just easier to cook things all together.

I managed to resurrect the fact that it was Winship restaurant in Sausalito where Meg and I discovered this treat in October of 1996 as part of a birthday follow up. Sadly I see that this artery clogging bundle of joy is no longer on their menu; perhaps a victim of the local health department. I thank them nonetheless for bringing this delight into my life.

I also must mention that our Thanksgiving trip to Eastern Maryland this year produced not only a crab feast of epic proportions but a genuine hangtown fry at the Imperial Hotel's fabulous Bloody Mary Brunch. Nice - and interesting - to find a dish so connected to California (I guess Placerville to be specific) done and done so well here on the East Coast.

Though we are already starting to count calories this new year, I think I'm going to stockpile some exercise in anticipation of the next hangtown. When is the next holiday I can co-op as a food holiday...

No comments:

Post a Comment